In February we provided an industry blog update on the status of a number of neighbourhood plans currently being prepared by BCC. This includes the Banyo-Northgate Draft Neighbourhood Plan, which also includes parts of Nudgee, Nundah, Virginia and Hendra.
The intent of this plan is to manage future growth and development in the neighbourhood plan area, given its advantageous access and proximity to regional transport infrastructure and the Australia Trade Coast precinct. In this update we will outline some of the key changes and features.
The draft plan is under public consultation, with public submissions open until 17 December 2018. After this period Council will conduct a review and may make changes to the draft plan. Now is your opportunity to understand how proposed changes may affect your property before the City Plan 2014 is amended, to take advantage of potential benefits when changes come into effect.
The anticipated adoption timeframe has been extended from mid-late 2018 until mid-late 2019.
Northgate railway station will be a future growth node along the north-west rail corridor. This will accommodate new housing and will provide commercial opportunities by supporting new employment precincts at Northgate and Bindha and expansion of the Banyo centre to provide increased local services.
Key industrial land identified as part of the Northern Major Industry Area under the City Plan 2014 strategic framework will be protected. This has been developed in response to demand for Brisbane’s limited supply of industrial land, and reflects the draft Brisbane Industrial Strategy.
The changes intend to resolve existing industrial and residential use interface issues through a number of strategic zoning changes which will aid transition from traditional industry to mixed industry and business, to balance future growth.
Opportunities / Changes
The draft plan includes multiple instances of up-zoning, which may benefit your property. Selected examples include –
- Extension of the District Centre (district precinct) Zone along Tufnell Road, including sites at the western end of Purchase Street and south of St Vincents Road;
- Introduction of Low-medium Density Residential (2 or 3 storey mix precinct) Zoning in selected locations where adjacent / abutting the District Centre (district precinct) Zone, on Purchase Street and Meredith Street, to provide a transition to existing areas contained in surrounding sensitive residential zones categories;
- Introduction of Mixed Use (corridor precinct) Zoning along Allworth Street / Ridge Street, and Medium Density Residential Zoning in various locations surrounding Northgate railway station on Ridge Street, Gympie Street, Ryans Road, Melton Road and Dethridge Street;
- Extensive conversion of General Industry Zone land fronting Toombul Road to Mixed Industry and Business, to facilitate a preferred location for advanced manufacturing and creative industry; and
- Introduction of Mixed Use (corridor precinct) Zone and Medium Density Residential Zone along Rochat Avenue, to improve the transition between sensitive and non-sensitive land uses and improve opportunity for residential use where nearest the railway station.
Want more information?
For more information or if you have specific questions about your property or the draft Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan contact us on (07) 3876 0533.
To view this blog in PDF, click here: Industry Update Draft Banyo-Northgate Neighbourhood Plan
Recent KRA Approvals
- Multiple Dwelling – 30 Oliphant Street, Murarrie
- New Dwelling House – 264 & 266 Main Western Road, Tamborine Mountain
- Extension to Pre-1946 Dwelling House – 25 Myagah Road, Ashgrove
Keep up to date with KRA!
Check out our latest LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook posts! Follow us here.