New Council Fees and Charges
From 1 July 2018, we expect Local Governments to increase their fees and charges that apply to development assessment and compliance costs. This means that you will have until 30 June 2018 to lodge and pay for applications before the fees increase. The new fees for most Local Governments are yet to be released. Click here to view Moreton Bay Regional Council 2018/19 Schedule of Fees & Charges.
You may experience longer than usual assessment timeframes for development applications lodged in the coming weeks as a result of an influx of applications before the increase in fees.
New Rules for Smoke Alarms
Did you know that the State government has changed the rules for smoke alarms for new and existing houses? Effective from 1 January 2017, the new mandatory requirements relate to domestic dwellings (Class 1a and 2 buildings) and require photoelectric smoke alarms in more areas of the dwelling including (but not limited to) all bedrooms, in hallways that connect bedrooms with the rest of the dwelling, and on every level. The smoke alarms must be interconnected and be hardwired (or for existing dwellings, powered by a 10 year battery that cannot be removed).
A phased rollout will happen over three periods. To comply with the legislation, interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms are required:
- From 1 January 2017: in all new dwellings and substantially renovated dwellings (this applies to building applications submitted from 1 January 2017).
- From 1 January 2022: in all domestic dwellings leased and sold.
- From 1 January 2027: in all other domestic dwellings.
These changes have implications for anyone buying or selling property with domestic dwellings to ensure compliance with the latest standards. For more information click here.
Recent KRA Approvals
- Service Station – 3505 Ipswich Road, Wacol
- Residential subdivision – 330 Robinson Road West, Geebung;
- New dwelling house – 40-42 Inspiration Drive, Logan Village
Want more information?
If you would like more information, please contact Doug from our office on (07) 3876 0533.
To view as PDF, New Fees and Charges and New Smoke Alarm Rules
Keep up to date with KRA!